Tuesday, April 5, 2016

The best kayak paddle reviews

7'10 4 Part Aluminum Kayak Paddle with Asymetrical Fibrylon Blades child

If you’ve been trying to find some real information on kayak paddle reviews … I’m happy to say you’ve come to the right place.

In addition to this review, I’ll answers many questions that I have been asking myself for many years. Here is what you’ll find:

  • What is the best paddle kayak?
  • What is the best kayak paddle for the money?
  • What is the best kayak paddle for fishing?

If you are here, then you must already have a really good kayak from an excellent brand manufacturer. But you do not seem to get a good handle on the paddle and are not happy with it.

If you are like me, then you are looking for that paddle that can give you the pleasure, fun and great satisfaction when kayaking. You tried many paddles and you are not able to get the one that will take you to the next level. So what else can you do?

I know your pain, you paid a lot of money for this and it’s not working!

I have been through the exact same pain as you. I did everything including trying different ?paddles from friends and even joined the local club to have access to a lot more paddles. I listened to my local clubs buddies, they advised me, and all in vain. I was still not happy with the different paddles I tested out.

Having not found what I wanted, I embarked into researching and finding the right kayak paddle for me.

So let’s start from the beginning, what are the things to look for when searching for the best paddle kayak?

1. Look for real, well proportionate blade design

When looking for a paddle, you need to understand that there are features you must have to get the best out of your paddle.

For me, and for many professionals that I have asked the question, the most important factor is the blade design. Why? Because the blade should provide you the right sensations when paddling.

It should be designed so that you can accelerate quickly with minimum muscular effort. This is very obvious, but it’s incredible how many forget the basics of kayaking.

When you do kayaking, you surely spend hours on the water and this requires a lot of efforts. So wouldn’t it be much better for you if you could reduce some of these relentless efforts by just selecting the right blade design?

It bugs me when I still see many of my Kayaking buddies using the wrong design of blade paddles.

But there is more to it. A really good kayak blade will have other features to help you out when paddling. It should allow you to keep a steady speed over the water, gives you great flexibility when turning, must be extremely light and most of all, it should not make noise when you enter the paddle in the water, but also when pull it out.

That’s a lot to take in for just speaking about the blade. But will you have all of these features in a single paddle? Of course not. But you should get as close to these as possible and aim to find the best compromise between all of the features.

A quick summary should help you define the best design that is suitable for you:

  • The wider the blade is, the more power you will need to pull your kayak forward. This is good to perform short kayak distances and for races. Using these types of blades will allow you to go faster on the water, accelerate quickly and you’ll also end up making fast turns if need be. You’ll basically turn into an Olympic kayak champion!
  • So if you are like me, I prefer long kayaking journeys where I use a narrower blade. I chose this because I stay in between 3 to 8 hours (maximum) on the water paddling away. So I need a paddle that allows me to produce fewer efforts. By producing fewer efforts, I paddle like a marathon man would run his long running distance and still be okay at the end of my outdoor day. But you may ask yourselves why I spend so much time on the water? Well I love outdoor (I know you guessed that), but I also love fishing. So I always take my best kayak fishing paddle when I am out.

Conclusion: When choosing a paddle aim at selecting a wider blade if you want more power and perform short distances. Use a narrower blade if you are looking to perform long kayaking distances.

2. Search for your ideal kayak paddle length

And you thought that size did not matter? Well you are wrong (like I was). Think of this: we are all different. You may be taller than your kayaking buddies. So taller means you may need a longer paddle. Conclusion: kayaking paddles are not one size fit all.

The below will definitely help you chose your paddle length:

  • What you need to do is to stand next to the paddle you’ve just selected (on end of the paddle touching the floor end and the other end up).
  • Normally the paddle should be taller than you (if not, you have definitely chosen the wrong paddle and it may be a paddle for children – I promise I won’t tell anyone I saw you ;) ).
  • Now that you have the right paddle, try to put your finger tips over the top of the paddle end blade.
  • I repeat this as it is a common mistake made by beginners (like me): try to put your finger tips (and not your hand!) over the paddle blade.
  • So the rule of thumb is: if your finger tips reach over the top of the paddle, then you have found the best paddle length for you.
  • Otherwise, the paddle is too short or too long. Remember, the finger tip, not your arm or hand ;).

What you will find in the shops is that you’ll get two main paddle lengths (other lengths are also available, but in short supply). The two main lengths are 220 cm and 230 cm. Yes you are right, these are in centimeters. The majority of manufacturers have decided to only use centimeters and not inches. So do not be surprised.

Conclusion: Choosing the right paddle length will help you make sensible well balanced efforts when kayaking.

3. Is it too heavy? Get the perfect paddle weight ration for you

Well if you really are into kayaking, then this section will interest you the most (may be). This is where I tell you the secret behind the reasons why a paddle can cost 40 USD and another one 300 USD.

I was astonished to find so much price difference. So I decided to investigate this.

I found out that the first difference in price is in the paddle category. There are mainly 3 of these; (a) the economy paddle category, (b) the recreational, and finally (c) the composite blade type, which I would call the top of the range (and that I use as my best fishing kayak paddle).

Then I asked myself, is it worthwhile to spend so much money on a paddle. At the end of the day, the plastic type paddles looked fine to me. Well, it is all done to what you want to do with your kayak. But if you are here, this means you like to have the best paddle you can have on the market. This means a carbon type paddle.

In essence, I would not mind to use a 40 USD plastic type paddle if I only did kayaking for a couple of miles a day. This is what they are meant to do. However, as I am a someone who practice a lot kayaking and spend hours on the water, then there is a huge difference between the economy and composite blade. If you think of it, an economy-paddle ways only 45 oz at max.

But a top notch paddle weighs up only 28 oz (max). Think of this, if you are on the water for 5 hours outdoor kayaking, then lifting a 45 Oz would become a burden. I’d say you better quit kayaking after that day as you may not have any arms strength left at the end of your trip.

On the other hand, the 28 oz. paddle will allow you to paddle for hours without feeling to cry because you are so far away and have to paddle back. This little difference in weight and paddle ergonomics (length and blade design) will make a real change in the way you enjoy paddling. It can make or break your love story with kayaking. So think carefully before buying your paddle. You need the right weight, length and blade design to make it a good day out on the water.

Conclusion: if you invest a little bit more towards acquiring a good paddle, you’ll definitely save in relentless efforts in the long run.

4. The difference between a bent shaft and a straight shaft paddle?

I have found that there is a huge debate on this. Some people prefer bent shafts while others straight shafts. I have tried them both and my take on this is simple. Both of them have disadvantages and at the same time they both have advantages.

But there is a very good rule of thumb. If you feel pain and you have some form of stiffness around your elbow and wrist at the end of each kayaking day out, then you’ll need a bent shaft. Why, because a bent shaft paddle has an in-built angle into the shaft. This angle is exactly where you will grip the shaft. So if you grip the shaft at that particular angle, then you’ll reduce dramatically the need to flex your wrist during your forward stroke.

At the end of a day out, and when using a bent shaft, you would not feel so much pain, and you’d want to go back on the water the next day. My take on this is that for people who performs kayaking once in a while (for recreation), then the bent shaft is best.

As a person who loves paddling for hours and go out fishing with kayak, I’d prefer the straight shaft paddle. You may think I like being in pain. Well no. I have good reasons for this.

First, I am used to straight shafts. I like to use them on windy days when the water is very instable. What I do is off-centering my grip. This allows me to make more paddling power on one side of my kayak (say on the right side). This helps to hugely compensate the effect of wind on me and my kayak and avoid any turning effect.

I would not be able to do this with a bent shaft, because I am somehow forced to put my hand where the bends are located. So instead of helping me this time, the bent shaft would make my day a bit more difficult.

Sometimes I like to use some bracing techniques. I also like to do rolling. I again off centre my hands to create power to do these. I really cannot do these with the bent shaft paddle.

I do not like to say this, as I am supposed to be an advanced kayaker, but I really find it hard to find my orientation when I capsize and try to recover when I use a bent shaft. I think I could train a bit more to overcome this disorientation, but I find it is easier for me to keep with the straight shaft for its versatility during my day out kayaking.

Conclusion: I would advise to use the straight shaft if you want to go more advanced in kayaking. Otherwise, and if you like to stay in the recreational kayaking, then use the bent one.

What is the best paddle kayak?

After reading the above, you would agree that there is no such thing. What I would say, is that we are all different, and as such you need to find the best paddle that suits you!

I would add that you need to use all of the above information to help you in selecting the right paddle.

What is the best kayak paddle for the money?

Let’s talk crushing numbers and try to answer this burning question.

Would I disappoint you if I’d say that there is no right or wrong answer to this?

Still there are a few pointers to help you out, and I have briefly discussed them for your benefit:

I kind a like the bending branches whisper II Kayak paddles when I do short distances. They are light, well proportionate and perform extremely well in the water.

I also like the Bending Branches Angler Classic Kayak Paddle when going out for a day out fishing. As I stay on the water for many hours, I need something light and efficient. This is what this paddle is made for. It is for me the best kayak paddle for fishing.

With the Werner Ikelos Straight Shaft Kayak Paddle 2 PC paddle, I’ve never felt tired at the end of my day out, neither had issues when turning.

I have tried a couple of other paddles, that have the same features, but none of them really pleased me in terms of comfort and pleasure I take out of my kayaking experience.

What is the best kayak paddle for fishing?

As I am a kayaker who loves fishing, I could not end this article without speaking about a paddle that I use for this purpose.

First, you definitely need one of the most stable kayaks you may think off. I use different ones.

I usually use a stand up kayak. I chose a spot and start paddling using one of the above paddles.

When I reach my spot, I stand on my kayak and start fishing.

Why do I used different kayaks and paddles? It’s very simple, some kayaks are for short distances and the other ones for long distances. Remember what I spoke about in this article? Paddle design, paddle length, paddle weight and bent/straight shaft. Use the information to find what’s right for you. If you prefer to take a shortcut, use the paddles I summarized above three types of paddles I use.

A quick note, I like many types of kayaks and use them interchangeably different weather conditions. I am inclined to use the stand up kayak when it is good weather and no wind. Otherwise, I use the other ones.

I truly hope you enjoyed my brief kayak paddle reviews and that you have learned from this. I look forward to hearing from you on your experiences and please do not hesitate to share this article with your kayaking buddies or club members.

And leave a comment below!!!

Product Images Sourced From Amazon.com?

The post The best kayak paddle reviews appeared first on Blogtrepreneur - For Busy Entrepreneurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment